Author Topic: Browning M2 .50 cal. Machine Gun  (Read 8393 times)

Offline EightBall

• Fodder II
Browning M2 .50 cal. Machine Gun
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Now that I have your attention.  My summer project for the next few months is to make this shell of a Browning M2 fire.  I need advice on products to buy, and how to mount the pieces.

Here is what I have:

The gun is made from plywood, PVC, Masonite and some sheet metal.  The barrel is 3 different sizes of PVC, and the tripod is all Conduit, tube steel, sheet steel, and a material called UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) which is a near-frictionless plastic that works easily.

Now in order to use the PVC as the barrel, I had to "fatten" up the gun, so the gun is 4 3/4" wide from outside to outside of the plywood (4 1/2" wide from inside to inside).  This bugs me a little, and I was thinking about rebuilding the gun to exact specifications, but if I didn't, I could save time, money, and I have so much space to work with on the inside of this gun to mount damn near anything I want.

Here is what I want:
discussions have included using 8mm bb's out of principal of it being a .50
firing 2-4 rounds a second, at 370-390 fps, to ranges of at least 50 yards consistently
Fed from the ammo box that will nest next to the gun in a new pintle, inspired the the picture below

electric would be the easiest for the trigger mechanism, CO2 is an option depending on the "gearbox" that is being made

I am waiting to finish the cosmetics on the gun until it is firing.  A functioning charging handle will be made, but wont necessarily be needed.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment, but it will be posted if I think of something.  I have a feeling none of the pictures will work, so here is a URL to one of them, and the rest should be in that album:
they were genius's!!!

and I am asking for any and all ideas, suggestions, and concerns.  I was never the tech guy when it comes to airsoft guns so I am hoping someone here can take the words of "what I want" and turn them into "this is what you need to buy to make this work".  Exact internal dimensions of the .50 are coming.
Current number of fighting holes dug for airsoft:  2

Pandoras Box IV:  Russian!!
Operation Eastwind VII:  1st squad, 315th RRC, U.S. Army
Codename Thunder X:  U.S. Team
Operation Eastwind VI:  3rd Squad, 315th RRC, U.S. Army

Offline kilo11

• Mercenary
Re: Browning M2 .50 cal. Machine Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
I wish your pics worked
Remember, just when things start to go your way...BOHICA.

Offline EightBall

• Fodder II
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »

Here is a good side shot of the .50, you can tell the barrel is made from 3 sizes of PVC, note the tripod plates

another of the pieces taken apart

the pieces together

detail of how the handles are attached, and the position of the PVC Male screw adapter that the barrel locks into

another view of the inside front

a fuzzy picture of the end of the barrel, this is a PVC female screw adapter, connect female part b to male part A

a look down the heat sheild to male part A, grow up

tripod details

Offline EightBall

• Fodder II
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »
The following are research images from some chaps over the pond that made an all-steel air powered airsoft .50 cal'.  Here is their website, they had serious money to put into their .50 cal, as well as experience in air cylinders, and machining (far beyond what I can do) : http://www.stealthstudios.co.uk/catman/50cal/m2.html   (this is not to promote, but to show where I've been in my research, just giving them their credit)

This photo is inspiration for a new pintle that will be made.  This pintle will be made from angle iron to nest an ammo box and the gun, holding the two in place and pretty much giving me a 11"L x 5 3/4"W x 7"H of extra space

again I am asking for product advise, tips, tricks, and any input you might have.  I will consider every possibility here.

Offline Wickey

• Wicket.
  • Grunt
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
that mount is the m3 mount, it can fit a mk19 and a 50... honestly see if you can find one supplus or in u can yoink one from the national guard, its heavy though, so keep that inmind
we prepair so we don't end up at the superdome
God: When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
futurama
"then i crap in my hand and throw it at them
because im classy"  - scape

Offline EightBall

• Fodder II
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »
weight would be an issue for the tripod, the front leg would probably fold 'open' as the M3 mount pushed it to the ground.  And with my version wider than the real .50 buying a real steel mount might be a waste. Then again, it might fit

It looks like a viable option for the gearbox would be an M14, or possibly a P90

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_136&products_id=5657 - this link is to a CYMA M14 gearbox on airsoft gi.  I remember CYMA being a very cheap company so I don't know about this one.
On Evike I found a "Echo1/CYMA/Matrix Complete M14 Version 7 gearbox."  So if the companies merged, or if it is just a generic gearbox (the link for this one: http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=31875)
Finally a P90 Gearbox seems perfect with the motor parallel, and directly below the cylinder.  Here is a link to the P90 gearbox I looked at: http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=30335

A problem I forsee with the M14 is how low the trigger and safety extends, as well as the angle the motor sticks out.  Can I remove the trigger and safety?? I would overide the electrical system so the trigger action of the .50 is transfered to a switch that completes the circut and fires the gearbox

another question, can a hop up unit be installed upside down? using a system like the photos above to keep bb's in pressure (as opposed to gravity fed) and feeding from the ammo can.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:19:30 PM by EightBall »

Offline Yoroiden

• Fear the Pig.
  • Soldier
  • Prepare to feel M60 wrath!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:06:20 PM »
I'd say a good gearbox option would be the PGC-SAW style gearbox used in the CA and A&K M249s, as that style was developed for use in airsoft MGs. I believe you can buy the shells for either on their own. They take standard V2/M16 parts, but instead of a trigger, it uses a micro switch, which can be mounted to work with the .50's butterfly trigger.

Something like this:
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=443_444_449&products_id=2598
"Far better it is to dare mighty things.. than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

Elgin City River Rats
www.riverratsairsoft.com

Offline WaR__MaChiiNe

• Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
I remember seeing videos of homemade M2s on youtube. I saw people using P90 gearboxes that might work best, but they are not as part-compatible as the M249 gearboxes
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you wow with me, I'll kill you all" Gen. James Mattis (USMC)