Author Topic: Real Sword SVD Dragunov  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Nevsky

• Gunslinger
  • Доверяй, но проверяй - Trust, but verify
Real Sword SVD Dragunov
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
I've never posted an official review before so I figured I'd give it a try. I have posted some pictures of the gun here on MAG so search around, you'll find them. A few days ago I received my long awaited Real Sword SVD Dragunov, it was a long wait because I had to justify dropping that much cash on an airsoft gun. Anyway, this gun was well worth my wait and an essential piece to add to any Russo-Soviet collection. If you don't collect Russian or Soviet airsoft I would still recommend this gun because it is so worth it.

Now onto the full review...

For starters, I ordered the RS SVD from Evike, I know some people have some serious horror stories but I have never been let down by Evike and so my record stands. Upon opening the box I found the gun very carefully packed in soft foam, not styrofoam with a million tiny little static pellets that decided to rebel and leave the main mold. I also found the gun gently wrapped in a thick plastic bag and more soft foam protecting it from the top of the box. Besides the gun, there are a ton of other goodies in there, such as an iron sight windage tool, cleaning rod box, general tool, magazine load tube, cleaning rod tube (fits over the assembled rods for barrel protection), and a funny looking wax paper wrapped article and some documentation.

Well the gun, of course, was the first thing to come out of the box and the reality of the piece really hit me. This is a long and heavy gun, I own a real steel PSL Dragunov and this felt exactly the same, needless to say I was already hooked just on the feel of it. After getting the gun out of the bag the reality hits you a little harder, this thing is all steel, all of it, the wood is real laminate and the stock is pristine. Real Sword pulled out all of the stops and spared no expense when making the SVD Dragunov, this is a heart and soul style weapon. Having been around real Russian weapons she was hard to distinguish and after all it looked and felt like it could have come right off the NDM-86 assembly line somewhere in China ( the NDM is the licensed Chinese version of the SVD). After all of the "oohing" and "aahhing" it was time to come back to reality and I put the gun down. As equally impressed as I was with the actual rifle, I was equally impressed with the documentation from Real Sword. The owner's manual is in fact a book, yes a book, and it contains more than just common sense safety pictures and odd Chinese symbols. This book provides a history essay of the SVD Dragunov, the operational characteristics and how to use the thing! Strange concept huh? Everything is well laid out and easy to read and understand, there is also a parts and takedown fold out poster that assists you with taking the gun apart. After my shock and awe over the book and poster I was happy to find a Quality Assurance Inspection form with the first 5 shots logged and chono'd with various inspection stamps and serial numbers for my particular gun. Real Sword also includes an Owner Registration form to fill out and email, fax or send in and some RS stickers. In the end I felt like I had just bought a new car, or was this the end?

I thumbed through the manual so I could find where the battery goes, I had already charged a 9.6 stick in anticipation of the delivery. Now here is where the rubber hits the road, changing the battery on the SVD is much like a ballet at the Bolshoi... Beautiful to watch but hell to actually perform it. I can say after a week now it is getting a little better. Oh ant the 9.6 stick? that's the max folks, you ain't squeezing another volt in that hand guard, maybe a Li-Po but why? The gear box was designed to pull up to an M120 with a 7.2V and anything above that it is suggested to use an 8.4V to 9.6V and the design is actually accurate, after all she's only a semi-auto.

Now remember that little wax paper wrapped item in the box I had mentioned? That would be the magazine, I was impressed by this because that is exactly how my Russian Saiga shotgun came from the Izhvesk plant in the motherland! Nothing complicated here, I opted for a speed loader instead of the tube, the steel mag only holds 96 rounds so why bother. I tossed in some .20g's and headed out to give her a spin. The hop-up is a little odd for an AK style weapon  but after a few uses I appreciate the detent-stop design, it makes dialing in and holding the setting a breeze. Of course the factory bucking had to go, sadly it usually does even on the expensive guns. After a few rounds the SVD sets up well and shoots very long distance with excellent accuracy. I would highly suggest purchasing the scope, I just happened to have a PSOP lying around so this was no issue for me. The Russian PSOP fits like a glove and once dialed in you can spin your wife's/mom's/girlfriend's/significant other's clothes pins on the line from 75 feet away, yes it is that good!

So in short if you can get this gun, get one! If you get the chance to play with one be careful you might do some really stupid things just to get one. Real Sword has really upped the ante on the SVD market, I've seen the others, drooled a bit but in the end the RS SVD Dragunov gets the prize.

Pros:
- aesthetically pleasing
- receiver is forged, machined steel
- very realistic weight and balance
-steel outer barrel, gas tube, flashhider, sight blocks, etc.
- hop up is a good design and works well
- functionally outstanding in stock form, chrono'd at a solid 430fps same as quality stamping from factory.
- wood parts are quality laminate and well finished.
- excellent documentation
- plenty of quality extras

Cons:
- does not include a battery
- changing the battery takes a lot of patience and care.
- weight and balance might be a bit much in the field if your not ready for it.
- doesn't include a scope, and the PSOP can be pricey.
- the hop-up bucking is a bit daunting to change at first.

I hope this is at the very least entertaining, if not informative, I really enjoy this gun and if you get a chance to try one or buy one I highly recommend you do so. See you on the field!

- Nevsky Out!   beer:)

"We discussed this very important issue yesterday, over a beer." - Vladimir Putin

Offline Mac

• Dinki-Di!
  • Legend
  • 416 and AK WHORE
Re: Real Sword SVD Dragunov
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »
Very nice review Nevsky! If I weren't already hooked on getting one, your review here would make want to! [Makes me want to even more now]
I do AEG TECH WORK, experienced with V2 & V3 gearboxes, PM me for more info, or if you need something fixed.

Offline Nevsky

• Gunslinger
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
Very nice review Nevsky! If I weren't already hooked on getting one, your review here would make want to! [Makes me want to even more now]

Thanks MAC, I had it out last weekend at a game and it totally blew me away. While being a sniper is not my choice of callings I enjoyed it. The RS SVD is also a very effective in the Designated Marksman Rifle role.Add to that the fact that she is only a semi auto rifle and you find yourself learning the value of ammo conservation in the opposite way. After shooting with the SVD I found myself leaving my AK74 on semi as well. All to often many people go right for the full auto spray. The only other drawback of the SVD??? Lugging it around for 4 hours straight without a sling... LOL
"We discussed this very important issue yesterday, over a beer." - Vladimir Putin

Offline Mac

• Dinki-Di!
  • Legend
  • 416 and AK WHORE
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »
No problem man, get a sling! LOL I tend to keep my rifles on semi-auto for the  most part, mainly to conserve ammo.  Even though ak's are meant to be fired in full-auto :P
I do AEG TECH WORK, experienced with V2 & V3 gearboxes, PM me for more info, or if you need something fixed.

Offline FrostyDevil

• Grunt
  • Love the sound of 105's in the mornin'!
    • 3rd Recon Group Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »
No problem man, get a sling! LOL I tend to keep my rifles on semi-auto for the  most part, mainly to conserve ammo.  Even though ak's are meant to be fired in full-auto :P

Yess! A fellow semi-automatic user!

But sadly, I don't seem to care for the SVD, I think it looks pretty bulky and personally, I think there are better guns out there for 500 bucks. PERSONAL PREFERENCE! I like the sleek black lines of a sexy ol' M16 RAS with an AGOG.
We are the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful

Offline Fireflak

• Soldier
  • Walk By Faith
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Yeah good review! As far as you, or anybody reading this knows, are all Real Sword guns this impressive?

And also Nevsky, now if its not a problem you gotta post up here in a few months about any problems, I'm curious about the durability, and if the quality lasts.
I've been ashamed. I've been put down.
Head in my hands, my life on the ground.
Left heaven to save
Liars and thieves,
Sinners like me. Your blood sets us free.
But who am I?
That You would remember me.

Offline [BSD] Vila

• Fo Shizzle my Villa
  • Mercenary
  • Have you tried turning it off and on again?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
As far as other Real Swords, I've only held a Type 97B and it was just as nice and solid.

Offline ZERO

• Gunslinger
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
Nevsky's being the second RS SVD I'v had the privlage of hold ing and shooting just confirms to me the exact quality RS puts into each of there weapons.  And I have had my hands on several other RS also so yeah. . . lol
"GET SOME"

Offline Nevsky

• Gunslinger
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
Yeah good review! As far as you, or anybody reading this knows, are all Real Sword guns this impressive?

And also Nevsky, now if its not a problem you gotta post up here in a few months about any problems, I'm curious about the durability, and if the quality lasts.

Alright, so it has been a few months with almost constant weekend ops for my and the RS SVD. So far so good even in the cold weather, no fps loss and now that the hop is broken in...YIKES!! Now there is an issue with semi-auto lock up of the gear box but RS is fully aware of it and they address the issue in the manual. For us seasoned vets of airsoft and AEG's this will happen to any gun, thankfully RS provides a tool to reset the SVD when this happens. So far it has done this only twice, of course each time was right in the heat of battle... None the less, just remember to keep the tool with you in the field or use a key, an unjamming rod or anything you are willing to safely shove into the receiver. For the record, Devil Doc and I were pinned down hard and I used a small stick, after all the thing is made of milled steel!!! Would it be nice if RS put a reset slider on the gun? Sure but then the realism goes out the window. If this is the only thing I have to deal with, then I am one happy Russkie camper.

Oh and one more thing, remember how I said changing the battery was a PITA? well thankfully it still is, the metal fixtures are still super strong and everything is rock solid, in short I love this gun and let me tell you, it is actually worth more then the price tag. The RS SVD is such a great airsoft gun that it gets a special place to reside in my home, she sits between my real M9130 Mosin Nagant and my real Romanian PSL54C "Dragunov" in my display case, somewhat for honor and mostly because that's the only place she'll fit...

Offline ota

• Fodder III
    • Airsoft Guns
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
Nice review, i was thinking about getting one of these to add to growing collection! Have you had a chance to chrono it at all? Estimated max range?
I am the Wholesale Accounts Manager at www.ontargetairsoft.com

North American Distributors Of

S-Thunder Products
Hakkotsu Products
SRC Airsoft Guns
Take Aim Airsoft Magazine

Not the biggest but the best wholesale airsoft guns suppli

Offline Nevsky

• Gunslinger
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »
Nice review, i was thinking about getting one of these to add to growing collection! Have you had a chance to chrono it at all? Estimated max range?

Arrgh! Holiday work schedules...

Anyway, on the chrono it has settled in around 410fps with .20g's as far as range? Nothing for sure but definately between 60m to 80m or 180ft to 240ft. I've been using a 4x Romanian LPS scope, it is really amazing that it is ACTUALLY that accurate. Yeah you can dial the scope in for it, I'll have her with me at the Red Dawn event.

Offline geo

• Fodder III
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
Nice Review!

I myself have a RS svd.  The gun is quite nice.  I have tinkered with mine a bit however.  Well actually a good smithy i know named Josiah from SLAP did the work for me.  I dropped a gg m130 spring in the gun so it is now pushing 445 with .2.  Agreed on changing the bucking.  I put a systema bucking in mine, and now the gun is ranging about 240ft with torso shots using TSD .3g bbs.  This is an awesome gun.  I found the trigger lag to be disappointing, but I suppose that is going to happen with 4 gears in the box.  I've tested it with an 11.1 lipo and that seems to remedy the situation.

Offline Nevsky

• Gunslinger
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
Alright, well I thought I'd return to my review and give an update on how things are going. Sad to say my SVD had an issue, it ate the piston while in stock form. Not a big deal, easily replaced at Redwolf for a mear $10, not sure what caused it but I dropped another one in and so far so good. I really want to do some upgrades but being a proprietary T3 gearbox sort of limits things. Hopefully some one out there will make an Aluminum piston with ALL steel teeth. Other than that she still kicks butt!