Author Topic: REVIEW: MTEK FAST G3A/C FACIAL ARMOR SYSTEM  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Downtown

• Downtown Tactical Owner/Boone's farm wine stockholder
  • Grunt
    • Downtown Tactical
REVIEW: MTEK FAST G3A/C FACIAL ARMOR SYSTEM
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:06:39 PM »
HISTORY
I first saw these guys at the Shot Show 2010.  After speaking with Ben and the rest of the guys at the show.  It seemed they were really interested in doing business with us and possibly exploring the airsoft side of the market as well.  After a few months of back and forth e-mails, we finally worked out an agreement to become a dealer for their products.  We also found out that they were going to make the T3C version of the G3C (Soft Armor).

THE PACKAGE
Arrived today from Fed-Ex and I could not wait to dig into it.  Once I signed for the package, I immediately went in and opened the package.  I was stunned by the quality of both units (DEMO).  I was told that these things were heavily used by the Marines.  There was not a scratch on them and there were no rips or tears.  These things looked brand spanking new. 

VERSA RAILS
Many people have asked why not use the newer MSA Rail system instead of their rails.  The answer to that is....well, I guess I do not have an answer for you.  What I do know is the Versa Rails work with not just the ACH, but pretty much every helmet that has been derived from the PASGT, including the PASGT, LWH, TC-2000, TC-2002, etc, etc. And the SM/MED/LRG/XLG of all those sizes. I'm not sure if the ARC rails work with PASGT helmets, I could be wrong.  Below is an image of the ACC Versa Rail modification that MTEK will be selling shortly.  Price point has yet to be determined.  But I have been told that it will be rather inexpensive compared to the MSA system.

4 HOLES ON THE VERSA RAILS - MASK
These are for future upgrades....Maybe for an additional rail system similar to the one below.

MOUNTING THE VERSA RAILS
The Rails Mount right onto the helmet with 4 screws.  The same 4 screws that hold the helmet suspension system onto the helmet.  If the original screws are not long enough, do not worry.  MTEK send 6 new screws of various lengths so the end user will not have to worry.  Once the rails are mounted, your helmet is ready to accept the mask.

THE MASK - G3A
The G3A is extremely lightweight at 14 ounces.  I honestly thought it would require a rear weight, but it does not.  You are able to adjust the height of the mask by adjusting it on the VERSA RAIL system.  I was able to adjust my mask to work with my Profile NVG's with no issues.

Now some of you might be asking, "How hot is it going to be?".  Well, I am sure that it will be warm in the hot/muggy summer air.  There are no holes drilled into the mask for ventilation.  But honestly, I am not too worried about it.  This is meant to save lives and if I am a little uncomfortable, so be it.  Airflow through the bottom of the mask is very good.  There is enough space for me to breath with no worries.  Remember, I have a larger head.  Smaller heads and faces will have even more room for air flow.

The G3A has an MSRP of $599.99 and is available in Black, Coyote Tan, and Foliage.  Mine was foliage upon arrival.

THE MASK - G3C
The G3C is also extremely lightweight at 14 ounces.  The G3C is also adjustable for height and goggle placement.  The one thing I noticed right off the bat was the G3C was sitting pretty close to my face.  In some of the images on the net and even here, you can see the mask sitting farther away from the face.  So far, that is my only complaint.

The G3C has a retail value of $399.99 and is available in: Black, Coyote Tan, ACU, Foliage, Ranger Green, Olive Drab, Multicam, MARPAT (Wood), MARPAT (Desert), Navy, Royal, and a few more.

SIZING
Right now their is one size fits most (everything but the small ACH) so the A's & C's will work with the MED, LRG, XLG. In the future they will probably dial in the sizes a little more, but the mount has enough adjustment in it right now that they  haven't heard of any complaints so far. 

BALLISTICS
I am not going to get into all of the test data here.  But all you need to do is You Tube "MTEK Mask" and watch the videos.  These things really do work.  While the solider/officer wearing this will still be seriously injured, they will survive without being penetrated by a bullet.  I know of at least one officer that might have benefited from this product.

I will mention that the G3C Armor is rated at Level 3A and is similar to the soft armor found in Tactical/Concealment Vests.

COMMUNICATIONS GEAR
Peltor Headset
This is a tough question.  Because everyone's head is different, and there's a seemingly infinite types of headsets out there. I know the Peltor's will work with the G3C's, but not so well with the G3A's (although they do make a G3A "MOD1", that does, we just don't advertise it...so if someone "has to have" we can accommodate).  A good rule of thumb is if the headset has a battery box sticking out the side of it to go underneath the helmet, it will probably have issues with the G3A.

MSA Sordin Headset
I haven't personally tried the MSA SORDIN, but looking at a couple pictures of it, it looks like it will work perfectly (no "crazy" battery compartment sticking out!). However, I do know for sure that the BOSE headsets work well (even though they have a crazy battery compartment), but those aren't something you'll find alot in the civilian world. Really it varies on the person and how they like to wear their com gear.

AIRSOFT VERSIONS
MTEK is very interested in the Airsoft Market.  They have in production a non-ballistic version of the G3C.  Known as the T3C, the only difference will be a large RED tag on the inside of the unit to show the user that they are not wearing ballistic protection.  The cost of the T3C will be $89.99 and will include a set of Versa Rails.

OVERALL
So far I am very pleased with this product.  The next step is to get onto a range an actually test this unit with a rifle and handgun.  While MTEK states the G3A is not meant to be worn as a "rifleman".  It can be and several SWAT teams are using it.  If you have a EoTech or any other weapon sights, you should have no problem.  If you need to cheek your weapon, then the G3c is the one for you.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:45:42 PM by Downtown »

Offline breech

• Boo Boo Kitty Fuck
  • Global Forum Pirate
    • Midwest Airsoft Guerrillas
Re: REVIEW: MTEK FAST G3A/C FACIAL ARMOR SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »
those look awesome for CQC

or open sessions!

Offline DrRockso94

• Grunt
    • A.D.L.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
could that work instead of a paintball mask Breech?
+15 to the awesomeness of this thread.
+5 to Defense against noob
-5 to spellign
Resistance to Moderation
Immune to logical thought

Offline breech

• Boo Boo Kitty Fuck
  • Global Forum Pirate
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
probably.

DT bring that setup to BOTW if you remember, i'd like to get the field owners opinion for airsoft use

Offline DrRockso94

• Grunt
    • A.D.L.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:34 PM »
The G3C will only be 89.99
-5 to spellign
Resistance to Moderation

Offline DrRockso94

• Grunt
    • A.D.L.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:52:29 PM »
Thank you Buzz Killington ;D I'll leave this to MAG's discretion.
-5 to spellign
Resistance to Moderation

Offline breech

• Boo Boo Kitty Fuck
  • Global Forum Pirate
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
i don't see them making anything thinner then what a paintball mask is at right now though

they are probably using paintball masks and current airsoft facemasks for ballistic comparison on their airsoft version.

i can't see any company not testing a face mask before releasing it.

Plus you know the first promo samples that go out will pop up on youtube with 550 spr's firing at point blank range.

Offline Downtown

• Grunt
    • Downtown Tactical
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 03:40:27 AM »
It isn't even on the market yet, and it's listed as having no ballistic protection. i don't think it'll stand up to bb's/paint balls as it'll probably be thin plastic. Great for older players, but the odds of it replacing a paintball mask are slim.

First:  If you do not know what you are talking about, SHUT UP! 

Second: The G3C offers quite a bit of ballistic protection!  The T3C is indeed on the market right now and is available for ordering.  The price is $89.99 and includes a set of Versa Rails to add to the helmet.  The T3A, is in the works.  But they want to make sure it is what the airsoft community wants.  They also want to make it as cheap as possible so that it is not priced out of the reach of the average player.  But hopefully by the end of Summer we will have a working prototype of that for testing.

Third:  AGAIN, IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, SHUT THE F^^K UP!

Forth:  It is not thin plastic inside of Cordura, it is.....Hell, I am not going to tell you!  But it is the same weight and dimensions as the soft armor that is in the G3C.

Finally:  DO NOT EVER MAKE ME SCHOOL YOU AGAIN ON FORUM COURTESY!  I am what you call a Tactical Gear Expert!  If I do not know something, I make it my point to find the answer!  I take care of my customers and give them the best information possible.  You my friend, spoke out your ass!

Breech, I will indeed that this at BOTW 3 at the booth.  BTW, We will be there later in the evening so I am not sure I will have much set up on Friday.  But we will be up bright and early on Saturday.

Offline shuriken

• Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:03:34 AM »
I wasn't intending to  flame, I was referring to the airsoft version that as you said is not availible, and may not meet the same safety standards paintball masks do as Dr Rockso is a minor and needs a full seal paintball mask to attend most events. I'm not bashing the masks, or your knowledge DT, just stating it probably isn't as safe as a paintball mask.

I bring the whoop a$$ fajitas.

Offline Panzerbjorn

• Soldier
    • CGAT Website
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »
That thing looks GREAT, and I certainly hope that the field will look at that as equal or ever better protection than a paintball mask.  You have the full seal goggles ready to go and full 'motorcycle helmet' looking armor.

What's the ventilation on that thing like?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:40:30 PM by Panzerbjorn »

kwahk man

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
if that works for a mask i can finally use my ess goggles :) cause im under 18

Offline Downtown

• Grunt
    • Downtown Tactical
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
Guys,

It is up to each individual airsoft organization and field as to whether they would allow this as a replacement for full-seal paintball masks.

IMHO, It covers the mouth, nose, and ears.  As long as it was attached to a person wearing full seal goggles, I would allow it.  But again, it is not up to me.

I am bringing both versions to BOTW to have Breech show it to the field owners to get their take on it.

Offline breech

• Boo Boo Kitty Fuck
  • Global Forum Pirate
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »
from the pictures only, i'd give it a pass as a full face mask protection

the first thing that popped into my head when i saw them was this

really awesome

kwahk man

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
TMNT lol nice breech

Offline Chewy

• Chewbacca!
  • Grunt
  • I smell like weed.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »
Is it prone to fogging goggles? Would cutting ventilation holes in it help since the air wouldn't be directed upwards?
I do any Bolt-Action Sniper rifle work. Specializing in VSR type repairs and upgrades. Contact me through PMs.